Gems are the premium currency in School of Dragons. In the game’s early days, gems could only be acquired by purchasing them in varying amounts for USD. Since then, it has become easier for players to obtain gems. Completing offers and inviting friends were two early methods of gaining gems without the need to spend money.
Gems can be purchased in six different amounts. In the past, School of Dragons has been known to run holiday sales that included discounts on gem purchases.
For the last several months the game has had many problems with the delivery of gems, a problem that appears to stem from JumpStart itself as Neopets—also owned by JumpStart—is known to have had purchase delivery problems during the same time frame. At the end of February 2016, the problem culminated in the game’s payment page being taken offline, although players were still able to make purchase through Google Play and the use of store-bought game cards.
Due to the problems associated with purchasing gems, players may wish to wait until they can use PayPal to make purchases again so that they can use its built-in ability to handle disputes for undelivered goods.
Additionally, support for purchasing from foreign countries is inconsistent across platforms. If the online, mobile, or downloaded versions won’t accept payments from your country, try purchasing through the Steam version of the game, which supports payment from a wider range of locations.
|Quantity||Price in US$||Price in Euro|
Players who purchase membership are meant to receive 500 gems per month per account (not per Viking). However, many players have complained in recent months over receiving their monthly gems late or not at all.
Today, most of the game’s offers for gems are found through the mobile version of the game. Offers vary based on the player’s region and not all regions have as many offers as others; some places even have no offers at all.
You can access the offers by clicking on the Earn Gems! banner in the daily log-in window, or in the store, on the right.
However, please note that this method can give small or severe viruses that can break your device and/or ask for personal information that can lead from spamming to someone hacking your device. Most of the times, the offers are very unbalanced.
Invite a FriendEdit
When first added to the game on 8/8/13 as part of version 2.0, inviting a friend awarded 200 coins, but this was changed 21 days later to awarding 50 gems. Currently players are limited to only receiving gems for the first 50 friends they get to join the game, capping this method of obtaining the premium currency at 2,500 gems.
At an unknown update, the invite limit was reduced to 5 friends, reducing from 2,500 Gems to 250 Gems.
Log-in RewardsEditOne of the easiest ways for players to earn gems is by logging into the game on consecutive days. Players receive 15 gems for logging in three days in a row and 25 gems for logging in five days in a row. After the fifth consecutive day, the rewards counter resets to day one. For more information on log-in rewards, check out its page here.
Around early September 2017, the daily rewards were changed. You can now get 5 gems the first day you log in, 15 for logging in three days in a row, and 30 for logging in five days in a row
You can also receive 5 additional gems a day by watching a promotional video, by clicking on the banner on the bottom left of the daily log-in window..
More active players can try their hand at Battle Events for the chance to win gems. The higher the tier a player scores in, the larger the gem reward can be. For players in a clan, members of the three clans that score the most battle points in a given month will win 200 gems at the end of that month. For more in-depth information of how to battle and what rewards you can expect, take a look at the battle events page.
Stable Missions are the latest way that players can earn gems, and has caused at least one player to refer to this as the “golden age” of gems. Stable missions can be completed at any time, unlike battle events which occur on a fixed schedule. See the wiki’s stable missions page for more info of which missions give gems as how many gems each tier of rewards can give out.
The minigames from the The Secret of Leviathan expansion pack, Cogs and Incredible Machine, can give gems. If a player completes all the levels with 3 stars, they can get a total of 400 gems. Cogs give 200 gems and Incredible Machine gives 200 gems.
Another minigame that can give players gems is Dragon Tactics. The minigame from Rise of Stormheart expansion pack can give 5-12 gems. Once you finish a level, there are four chests you can open. You need to answer a "quiz" to open the chests. If you get the answer right you get to pick your prize. If your answer is wrong, the chest becomes locked.
- Don't mindlessly waste gems! Gems are rather scarce and even high rewards like Hoard of Gems have tendencies on rewarding you with the lowest amount!
- Always put what you need the most as your first priority when it comes to buying things with gems - if not done, you can end in situations where you need x but, you don't have the exact amount to do so;
- If you're in a gem crisis, do not buy anything at all, even if you have enough to do so;
- Trial Membership is your friend! Since Trial Membership rewards you with your very own Toothless and unlocks his Stable Missions, you can successfully do the Long Night Flight mission two times before the trial runs out; however, it only needs to be brought once to fully have access to the Slot 5 Stable Missions as even without the trial, you can delete the missions (albeit you can't send Toothless on it);
- With this, you can: Delete the missions until you have the Long Night Flight → Buy the Trial (if you have enough to) → Send Toothless on the mission → Delete to find Long Night Flight again → Send Toothless on the mission again → Repeat;
- Do make sure you have more than 300 and a room for Toothless because, if you don't have more than 300, you can end in a small crisis to govern yourself and, if you don't have a room for Toothless, you can't send or unlock the Slot 5 as the game will act like you haven't received it yet;
- It's adviced to also buy a Viking Slot whenever you can/have more than what's required as all your Vikings within your game share the same gem currency, which means that while buying a new Viking means almost exactly starting a whole new game (albeit with all the expansions that you brought in your main Viking already unlocked), you can do the Long Night Flight in total of 4 times or more depending on how many Vikings you have;